- Deoxyelephantopin Induces Reactive Oxygen Species-Mediated Apoptosis and Autophagy in Human Osteosarcoma Cells. Cell. Physiol. Biochem., 2017, 42: 1812–1821.
- Glycycoumarin Prevents Hepatic Steatosis Through Activation of Adenosine 5'-monophosphate (AMP)-activated Protein Kinase Signaling Pathway and Up-regulation of BTG1/Tob-1. J. Funct. Foods, 2017, 34: 277–286.
- Deoxyelephantopin Induces Apoptosis in HepG2 Cells via Oxidative Stress, NF-κB Inhibition and Mitochondrial Dysfunction. Biofactors, 2017, 43: 63–72.
- Moracin C, A Phenolic Compound Isolated from Artocarpus heterophyllus, Suppresses Lipopolysaccharide-Activated Inflammatory Responses in Murine Raw264.7 Macrophages. Int. J. Mol. Sci., 2016, 17: 1199.
- Sterol Methyl Oxidases Affect Embryo Development via Auxin-Associated Mechanisms. Plant Physiol., 2016, 171: 468–482.
- Comparison of Two Exploratory Data Analysis Methods for Classification of Phyllanthus Chemical Fingerprint: Unsupervised vs. Supervised Pattern Recognition Technologies. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 2015, 407: 1389–1401.
Palmitic Acid and Ergosta-7,22-dien-3-ol Contribute to the Apoptotic Effect and Cell Cycle Arrest of an Extract from Marthasterias glacialis L. in Neuroblastoma Cells. Mar. Drugs, 2014, 12: 54–68.
We describe the effect of a chemically characterized lipophilic extract obtained from Marthasterias glacialis L. against human breast cancer (MCF-7) and human neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell lines. Evaluation of DNA synthesis revealed that both cell lines were markedly affected in a concentration-dependent way, the SH-SY5Y cell line being more susceptible. Cell cycle arrest was observed, an effect induced by the sterol, ergosta-7,22-dien-3-ol, present in the extract. Morphological evaluation of treated cells showed the advent of lipid droplets and chromatin condensation compatible with apoptosis, which was confirmed by the evaluation of caspase-3 and -9 activities. Palmitic acid was the main compound responsible for this apoptotic effect by a ceramide-independent mechanism that involved endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-stress with upregulation of CCAAT/-enhancer-binding protein homologous protein (CHOP).