- Pomolic Acid Induces Apoptosis and Inhibits Multidrug Resistance Protein MRP1 and Migration in Glioblastoma Cells. Oncol. Rep., 2017, 38: 2525–2534.
- Antitumor Effect of Sikokianin C, a Selective Cystathionine β-Synthase Inhibitor, against Human Colon Cancer in Vitro and in Vivo. Med. Chem. Commun., 2018, 9: 113–120.
- Santamarine Inhibits NF-кB and STAT3 Activation and Induces Apoptosis in HepG2 Liver Cancer Cells via Oxidative Stress. J. Cancer, 2017, 8: 3707–3717.
- Ailanthone Inhibits Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Cell Growth through Repressing DNA Replication via Downregulating RPA1. Brit. J. Cancer, 2017, 117: 1621–1630.
- Deoxyelephantopin Induces Reactive Oxygen Species-Mediated Apoptosis and Autophagy in Human Osteosarcoma Cells. Cell. Physiol. Biochem., 2017, 42: 1812–1821.
- Glycycoumarin Prevents Hepatic Steatosis Through Activation of Adenosine 5'-monophosphate (AMP)-activated Protein Kinase Signaling Pathway and Up-regulation of BTG1/Tob-1. J. Funct. Foods, 2017, 34: 277–286.
Pomolic Acid Induces Apoptosis and Inhibits Multidrug Resistance Protein MRP1 and Migration in Glioblastoma Cells. Oncol. Rep., 2017, 38: 2525–2534.
Glioblastoma (GBM), the most aggressive of primary brain tumors, determine short survival and poor quality of life. Therapies used for its treatment are not effective and chemotherapy failure is partially due to multidrug resistance (MDR) mechanisms present in the tumor cells. New therapeutic strategies are needed in order to improve survival in GBM. The present study investigated the activity of the pentacyclic triterpene pomolic acid (PA) in GBM. Pomolic acid decreased the viability and induced apoptosis of GBM cells as demonstrated by DNA fragmentation. It also induced uncoupling of mitochondria membrane potential and activation of caspase-3 and -9. Pomolic acid-induced apoptosis is dependent on reactive oxygen species (ROS) production as it is inhibited by anti-oxidant treatment. Pomolic acid also down-modulated the activity of the multidrug resistance associated protein 1 (MRP1) and inhibited migration of GBM cells. These results show that PA acts on several pathways of GBM drug resistance and therefore may be of potential interest for the treatment of this tumor.